Thursday, June 13, 2013

Motivation

I have a 5k I signed up for a long time ago.  At the risk of sounding like a pompous jerk,  I signed up because I wanted to win an age group award.  I also wanted to PR a 5k.  It has been over two years since I entered an official 5k and finished in 29:02. The event is downtown and I don't want to park to run 3.1 miles.  I found out the event doesn't offer age group awards for the 5k distance only the quarter marathon and half.  Also at packet pickup the race shirt is made of cotton, not tech fabric like the other distances.  I don't need another shirt, tech fabric or not.  In the fall I ran a 23:15 for 3 miles.  This spring I ran it in 23:06.  I have worked on speed and feel like I have not made much progress this spring.  I don't like to talk speed numbers   in order to inflate my ego or put other runners down.  A mile in 6 minuets is the same distance as a mile in 25 minutes.  I feel like if I rest I'll finish well and if I get wasted the night before I could still technically PR.  So those are my excuses.
    I wonder if I am lacking motivation as I sit and rest for two days of no running?  I just did an impromptu 10 miles on vacation, my motivation must be okay.  Maybe I need to be admitted.  It is a good thing I don't listen to myself.

No comments: