Sunday, February 02, 2014

Zero Drop

     I have walked all of last year in my Altra zero drop shoes.  I covered about 200 miles of just walking in my zero drop shoes.  I spent all day at work on my feet in them.  In the summer I received a pair of Saucony zero drop shoes and probably ran about 50 miles in those.
     When I first started running I was told I needed support shoes.  I ran in a pair of Asics 2160's and Brooks Adrenaline.  These shoes were big and clunky.  The offset from heel to toe was 12mm.  Now after running for a few years I find those shoes offer too much support to my feet. So last year I ran in shoes with 10mm heel to toe drop.  I also mixed in the zero drops for walking and some speed work.
     I feel like this is the year for zero.  Zero drop that is.  With keeping my races to half marathons this is a perfect year to work on my form and speed.  Runners World has an article for those thinking about the transition.   Runners World has an article for those thinking about the transition.  Altra shoes also has a great guide on how to transition. 
     From now until April 5th my running journey will be attempting to complete a half marathon in zero drop shoes.  I want to get back to racing weight by dropping 10+ pounds. April till July 12th will be hills and speedwork.  July to August I will focus on tempo runs, attempting to set a half marathon PR at the Badgerland Strider Half.
     Join me on this journey to running and eating natural.
Till next run...

No comments: