Monday, December 30, 2013

Obligatory end of year recap

As the end of 2013 draws near I look back on the running year.  Honestly I feel like my running year ended over a month ago.  But as I sit and think I found out, and soon you will too, they are two and the same.  My running year and 2013 as the same.  I know that may sound very logical, but the point I am making is running is my life and my life is running.  What happens in life effects running and my running sheds light into my life situations.  Some hard things happened in 2013.  Running helped me stay calm at times.  Other times I realized that running was labored because of the hardness of life.  But I was okay with this new found ideology, or so I now admit.  This month I have covered 14 miles.  I found that running helps you connect to yourself.  And if you want to call that selfish go ahead.  I would like to argue that getting to know myself better I have become a better person.  In 2013 I learned that not all will go the way you want it to, and that is okay.  I learned to cherish that what you do have.  I learned to love every mile, one day you may not be able to run even one mile.
Looking back there are some major things that got accomplished.  None of them were done on my own.  God was my help in time of trouble.  Many times I thought if I just worked harder a result would appear.  At times the results did appear.  But who was it that allowed it, God.  This is my view as a religious man.  Not all would believe this, I get that.  If you do, you understand that all is to God's glory.
I was able to run 50 miles.  Let me say that again because I still cant believe that.  I ran 50 miles.
in 2013 I was able to pace a half marathons.  I love the feeling of helping others.  And in the selfish sport where so much time is spent alone working on our bodies I was able to give back to the running community.  I also gave back by volunteering at the Ice Age races and the USA Triathlon Nationals.
Personally I officially set a PR in the marathon, half marathon, and 5k.  I was able to cover more than 1300 miles this year.  Most ever.  2013 was a good year for what I accomplished in running.  However life is more than running.  Running will enhance your life.  It will help you see life and appreciate it more.
I have no idea what 2014 will hold.  And I am okay with it.  No lie!

No comments: