Sunday, August 18, 2013

In the middle of it

Running is fun, yes.
Running crazy is not fun.
Running is fun, no!

     I love to move and watch the miles add up.  I love to see what my body can do, and how much stronger I can get.  I don't love feeling like I don't have a weekend because I committed to running a 50 miler.  This weekend I dd 41.1 miles in three days.  Wow yea me, how cool is that, said no one ever.  More like how freaking NUTS are you? I write this at almost midnight because I can't sleep.  This large weekend has left my stomach in knots and exhausted.  My legs feel great but I can't sleep.  I fell asleep at 6:30 and woke up at 9:20.  I am done with this.
    I am excited to start taper and race season at the end of this week.  I can have more time with my family, more time to relax, more time to just breathe.  Yea, breathing what you do lots of while running but never seem to have time to do otherwise.  The exhilaration of charging up a hill and feeling your calves swell as if to bursting is second to none.  The thrill of speeding through a 5k or intervals is a great high.  All of it is done to better myself towards a particular goal, 50!  I don't think I will tackle a 50 anytime soon again.
     Marathons, sure!  Next year I am thinking of focusing on one thing, the half marathon.  I wana go fast!  My goal is to hit or break 1:40.  Looking on the calendar I plan on running the John Dick 50k.  Yes it is a long race, but I have done it in the past with a long run of 10 miles.  It is just a great cold day in the woods.  I plan on racing the south shore half in April too.  I would love to target a half in the fall that I could take my wife to and have her run or relax too.
     I just need to hang on for one more week.  I am shooting for a 50 mile week.  6-3-6 mid week runs and a 13.1 race on Saturday.  Add some walking miles and I should be good.  I will throw in some strength training and core work this week to keep up the intensity.

No comments: