Monday, May 27, 2013

You scream I scream...

...we all scream for ICE CREAM!  I am a foodie with a running problem.  Or is that I runner with a food problem.  I love food.  All kinds, but I especially love sweets.  If there are cookies around watch your fingers.  On runs I have actually smelled doughnuts and wondered where the scent was coming from.  It is a good thing I don't carry cash on my runs.  My wife is an excellent baker, this doesn't help things much.  Every weekend the house is filled with essence of baked goods, scones, cookies, muffins.... I have no idea why I am not 300 pounds.  It makes running 7 miles easier knowing there is a reward when I get back.  Have you ever perseverated over a doughnut for 70 minutes?
     Yesterday I ran 7 miles and about four hours later I wanted Ice cream with my dinner.  Not wanting to drive 1.5 miles, what better way than to lace em up and run.  So I ran an additional 1.5 miles just for Ice Cream.  I think I have a problem here.  I don't know if it is a food issue or a running one.
    My diet consists of little meat and lots of vegetables and grains.  Meat is still consumed, just small in quantities.  The older I get the more vegetables I like.  Ever since I started running every year I try adding a new fruit or vegetable.  The first year it was broccoli, next was brussel sprouts,  and last year it was watermelon.  I need to eat more fruit in my diet.  Coworkers have made mention to the amount of veggies I eat.  Most of my diet is organic.  Eating organic helps my body to bounce back and heal after long workouts.
     With the holidays and summer bbq's coming up there is plenty of food to be had.  Some days I have NO self control.  I just can't stop eating, it is all soooooooo good.  Did I mention that I love fried foods too.   French Fries and Deep Fried Cheese Curds are my kryptonite.  Cheeseburgers are also good too.  All this talk of food makes me want to go run, or eat.  I think I have found a solution to my issue.  The next time I hear the ice cream truck in the neighborhood I am going to lace up and grab a few dollars then run out the door, like old times when I was 8 years old.

No comments: